Saturday, January 7, 2017

River rocks, watercolor


This piece was inspired by an upcoming show at Rancho Cordova City Hall art called "Zoom, a closer look". The painting is from a photo I took along the American River of all the different kinds of river rocks. The colors had tints of red, green, orange, blue, (and striped!) so I was excited get experimental with painting them. Once I got the basic shapes of the rocks down with pencil, I added a wash into a few of the rocks and poured salt into them to create texture (an idea that came from Rukiye Garip's video "Creek with Stones"). Then it was just a matter of playing with colors and shadows to make them look rounded. I really like the way this composition turned out, very well balanced for just a pile of rocks! Can you tell which ones were "salted"?

No comments:

Post a Comment