Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mt. Tallac in watercolor, Plein air

An iconic feature of South Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac can be seen from most anywhere in town. It is quickly recognized by the snow in the shape of a cross.  This snow used to be there year round but recently has started to melt more in the summer...global warming? In my painting, I was generous with the snow in the cross.
In the late afternoon, my family went down to the lake, specifically the west end of Kiva Beach, and while they played on the beach, I painted. The afternoon sun tends to shade a lot of the peak, so the colors are a little darker than they would have been in the morning.
I started out with a quick pencil sketch as I usually do, then added in the sky and clouds (since they move so quickly!)  and continued working down adding in the foreground trees last. When I was finished, I kind of wished I had made the piece vertical so that I could have included Taylor Creek in the foreground.
Reference photo...before the clouds floated away
Pencil sketch
Finished painting drying on easel
Next time...vertical format including Taylor Creek. (Clouds are already gone...)
Finished painting

No comments:

Post a Comment