Sunday, February 8, 2015

Skull-moth-flower pencil drawing

I came across this art competition on Instagram called skull-moth-flower. The rules were simple...the art has to include a skull, a moth, and a flower. There are three categories: color, black and white, and sketch. I figured I would start with a sketch and then maybe I  would do a watercolor as well.  The concept behind my drawing is that the skull is part of the wings of the moth. I thought that the eye sockets would appear to be "spots". The moth turn out a little cartoony and the "wings" don't really fit the body.

So here is the sketch. It took about 45 minutes to do, maybe a little bit longer with shading the background. I used a mechanical pencil, but it seemed like all of the leads were broken. It was really frustrating because every time I would get on a roll, the lead wouldn't feed right.

No comments:

Post a Comment