Saturday, November 10, 2012

William B Pond


The Islands
My next artist excursion a couple of weeks later, was to William B. Pond at the end of Arden Way along the American River. There is just so much variety here, I could go here many more times and be painting totally different scenes (and you will see later that I have returned frequently). With my backpack of basic watercolor supplies, I hiked over to "The Islands" to be inspired. The first painting I was focused on the reflection again but took a much wetter and blurry approach to it instead of creating a mirror image. It worked out because the viewer gets the sense of moving water instead of the placid water that was at my last spot along the river.  Leaving the white between the bank and the water was emphasizing the shoreline, but is there too much of a gap?  The background is vague and the foreground more detailed, but even with the detail, something was missing. I added more color but what it needed was some shadowing. I tried adding a few shadows but the texture of the trees were still a little flat from my over generalization of the trees. I did get the texture in the water, but I felt my perspective was off a little and my horizon was slanting.

Tree at William B Pond
That gave me an idea, though.  I should be putting some pencil lines down first to keep my horizon level and I can see if my perspective is right before putting paint on the paper!  About a hundred yards down stream, a tree caught my fancy. I laid down a few pencil lines to identify the rivers edge and horizon and started again. Starting with the sky (as I always do) I thought I would try putting some clouds in by lifting paint off. There are three, but two got obscured by the tree. I actually spent quite a bit of time on the background, only to be hidden behind the tree! I did very little reflection work this time ( but I really like how the reflection of the grasses turned out). Interpreting the water movement onto paper was my challenge and then figuring out how to draw all of those cobble rocks on the bank.  So with a lot of "artistic license", I created my own bed of rocks, experimenting with shades of grey.  The tree still came across as flat, even with some shading. Over-generalizing the leaves again is my guess. I will have to work on that. I didn't have the courage to shade it almost black (as in the picture) but as the sun went down and the shadows grew, I knew it was time to pack up. My bottom was numb and I'd have to think about bringing a chair or something next time instead of having to make do with a log or rock.


As you can see, I started taking pictures of the scenes with my phone. Its nice to see the comparison but it makes it easier to be more self-critical. It never turns out exact, but that is not my goal.  My artistic interpretation of what I "see" will always be different than a photo. Knowing this, I think I will continue to take the pictures, but not with the intention of comparing, but to remember how and why I perceived it the way I did.



3 comments:

  1. Hi michael, welcome back to art! Lots of us took a break but it always seems to be there when you are ready. These are nice starts and your enthusiasm carries the day. You might want to check out David Lobenberg. He is a great watercolor plein air painter in the Sacramento area. He teaches also when and if you think you might want to take a class or workshop. A small suggestion.... You will find a world of difference in what you are able to make the watercolor do with 100% cotton rag paper. More than the quality of the paints or brushes, the paper is the first upgrade when you are ready. I will be doing a demo Monday afternoon at 1 pm for the Sacramento Fine Arts Council. If you are interested and would like to come, you can contact me for more information. Keep on painting. I will be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A slight correction to my last comment. The demo is for the Watercolor Artists of Sacramento Hoizons Inc at the Sacramento Fine Arts Center at 1:30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on the paper. I'll have to experiment with that. Was that demo on Monday, Nov. 12? Disappointed I missed it. I only work on my blog once a week - still trying to figure it out.

      Delete