Thursday, December 27, 2012

Artist's Way

The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron, is a book focused on the spiritual path to higher creativity.  It helps artists discover what is blocking their creativity and connect (or reconnect) to their art, and the process,  in a spiritual way. I took a 12 week class focused on this book and each of its 12 chapters from Vina Parmar of Awakening Creative Arts . At first, I wasn't sure if this was a class for me, but my wife convinced me that I should at least try it.  After being in the class for 10 minutes, I knew that this was going to be a wonderful experience. 
This was a piece I completed the first night of the class using colored pencils on black construction paper.  I used a layering effect that I had been working on with my watercolor to create texture in the trunk of the tree.  I am not sure where the idea of the eyes came from, but apparently I was thinking of a self-portrait. 


The great thing about this class was that each class exposed us to a new kind of creativity. Everything from colored pencil drawing to poetry writing, dance, vision board, and even sand art!  Each week was an adventure in creativity, and learning not to be afraid of something new. It was the inspiration behind this blog!

Check out upcoming classes in 2013!




No comments:

Post a Comment