Sunday, March 9, 2014

Plein air painting on the American River

One of my favorite spots to paint is along the American River. It never disappoints. I can always find a beautiful, serene view.  And the weather was a perfect day to be outside. This is at the Howe Avenue River Access, just past the boat ramp. My daughter was with me and asked about how I decide how to simplify all of the details. I told her it was a good question, because that is the part that is the most challenging...to simplify it down to a manageable scene for painting. I did tell her that I generalize the background, and then add in a few details toward the foreground.
This boat was not there while I was painting but after I was finished, it showed up. Maybe I should paint it in...what do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment