Friday, April 11, 2014

Quan Yin, watercolored with berries

While hanging out in a friend's backyard a couple weeks back, I saw a bush with a bunch of berries.  It got me thinking...if I could paint a leopard with coffee, could I paint something with berries? So I grabbed a small batch of berries and took it home. With a little research, I found out it's called a fatsia bush. The berries aren't poisonous, but I don't think I'll try eating them!
First, I put a pot with a little water on the stove and boiled the berries down till I had a sauce, then strained it through a coffee filter into a cup. Then I let it sit for a couple of weeks...not intentionally. I just had not been inspired. It actually thickened up even more, almost to a cream consistency ( thicker on the bottom, watery still on the top). Hmmm...I might be onto something here.
So I decided to paint a small portrait of Quan Yin. The "berry paint" just doesn't flow quite as well as higher quality paint, but it does the job, from thin wash to darker coverage. I have to be careful not to dredge up too much sediment though.

1 comment:

  1. Love this one! The background story enhances it......how you found the berries and used something in nature to create art. The picture is moving and has an almost aboriginal feeling to me.

    ReplyDelete