Sunday, January 24, 2016

Whirling dervish with coffee

I have been meaning to paint a whirling dervish for a while (my wife is a big Rumi fan) so I thought I would start with a simple study in Coffee...yeah right, anything but simple. It all started when my coffee maker decided not to work, and I figured I could make coffee on the stove. Well I quickly managed to burn a pot of coffee. I have tried painting with coffee before (Leopard with Coffee) and realized that normal coffee won't do, it has to be a very thick consistancy, and well, I was almost there with my burnt coffee...definitely not drinkable at this point.
Once I had my "paint" made then it was just a matter of finding the right values to capture shadows and highlights. Other than my pencil lines in my sketch outline, this is completely painted with coffee.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you succeeded even though the coffee pot didn't. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete