Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Plein Air painting at I -Fest in Rancho Cordova

Here is a step-by-step look at me painting plein air at the Rancho Cordova I-Fest, a display of the city's international diversity. The Sacramento Plein Air group was invited to document the event.
I started with a rough outline with an Expo dry erase pen,
and then washed in sky and began working on the background.
Working my way down, adding in more background.
Filling in the foreground.
Add in shadows.
A few minor details... and voila!

This was a very challenging project because I have always avoided drawing people, and here was a huge crowd! Also thought I'd throw a dog in there just for sport! Here is my "almost complete" artwork displayed next to David Peterson's work.


Artist at work.
I forgot to give my wife credit for the photos.  I was too busy to even notice that she was taking them, but it worked out well for showing the steps. Thank you Joann!








No comments:

Post a Comment